The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Barry Martak, Jay R, TIM ZINDLER, 2-Ton), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1113395 07/13/2015 3:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
What would you experts suggest for the best choice for a front sway bar to install on a stock 52 Chevy and where to purchase? Does have a 261 but fully stock other than that. Your advice greatly appreciated.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
I'm using the sway bar linked to by Denny. It made a huge improvement and was very easy to install.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I use same-year Panel truck Sway bars on my 1/2 ton trucks (Used - from Want Ad or Jim Carter).

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,225
I use the same one from the link above on my '37, it made a huge difference on it as well.

Just google '50 chevy truck sway bar, there is only manufacturer but lots of dealers to choose from.

Joe

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 99
Haven't installed one yet but also saw this one from performance online.
PerformanceOnline

I will install one when I get the truck back on the road

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 799
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 799
I used the same sway bar as Denny posted. It is an easy to follow installation. It does make a difference. $$$ well spent. Good luck!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Why not buy it from CPP direct and only pay $149 in stead of
buying it thru a dealer who charges $179. They're coming from
CPP in the first place.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I have just put that kit Denny linked on my '40 but haven't driven it yet so can't comment on that. It comes with 2 pair of spacers that go on the long bolts. What is their purpose? Seems like I could have just not used any.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by DennisM
I have just put that kit Denny linked on my '40 but haven't driven it yet so can't comment on that. It comes with 2 pair of spacers that go on the long bolts. What is their purpose? Seems like I could have just not used any.

Dennis

Independent front suspensions use those long bolts to connect the sway bar to the lower control arms. Jeffrey

Last edited by 32vld; 07/15/2015 12:47 PM.
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by Joe H
I use the same one from the link above on my '37, it made a huge difference on it as well.

Just google '50 chevy truck sway bar, there is only manufacturer but lots of dealers to choose from.

Joe


Joe, do I understand correctly that you used the 47-54 sway bar on the front of your '37? How was the install?


Has anyone put a sway bar on the back of a '37 yet? Any suggestions?


~Justin

1937 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Google

My Grandfather bought it new and Dad drove it through highschool. The 3rd & 4th generations put it back on the road on 8/8/2015!
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Back on this one. The spacers I'm talking about is maybe 3/8" and 1/2" long that goes on the long bolt. What I'm trying to figure out is what is their purpose? Am I trying to make the bar parallel to the ground or what? I guess I could call CPP but kind of figure the brain trust here could probably give a more accurate answer.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
they go between the two sets of bushings, one set goes on the frame then the spacer, then the other set of bushings goes on the bar. Mine came with instructions.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Could you post those instructions, mine didn't come with any
either and although it's a simple installation it wasn't clear
where the spacer bushings belonged at the time.
I also had to rework the holes for the U-bolts in the plates,
which I believe may be correct for a 1/2 ton but not the 3/4 ton.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I don't have them any more, however I can get them, Dreamers is the place that owns the rights to them, CPP just makes them for them, and they just happen to be just down the street from me.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Hang with me as sometimes I have trouble explaining myself fully. I know where the spacer is supposed to go but don't understand what the purpose is for the spacer. Since there are 2 pairs of different heights seems like I could use either, both, or none. Must be some objective I'm trying to achieve so I know which to select. Make any more sense?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
you would probably do well just to call CPP, if it isn't explained in the instructions. (you did read the instructions right?) My guess is there is two different sizes to allow it to be used on more than one application. But I don't know for sure.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Was about to order the swaybar from Classic Performance Products until I went to Google and punched in " Classic Performance Products Review" My-My there is one horror story review after the other, Scared me away. Anyone have any thoughts as to another swaybar for my 52?? Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I purchased the CP169 rear sway bar kid 2 years ago, and it has been great for my panel. The sway bars are fairly simple, and probably made by one or two companies. My friend at a local "resto shop" ordered mine for me and cost $186 and it came from CPP. I have no complaints but I didn't have to deal with any customer service over a problem.
The sway bar was for the 1/2 ton pickup but I used it on my 52 panel. Boy, it sure stopped the rolling!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Had my front CPP bar on for 6 years and about 14k miles.
Wonderful addition, made a completely different truck
out of the old gal. Solid as a rock in the turns now.

Can't imagine what sort of problem would warrant that sort of
review unless the installer had no mechanical skills what so ever.

Only problem I ran it to was that I had to open up the
mounting holes because I was putting it on a 3/4-ton rather
than a 1/2-ton like I suppose the majority are installed on.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/05/2015 12:45 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I went to the CPP website and they have installation instructions for what looks to be every piece of equipment they sell.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, install instructions for Advance Design trucks:
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/SwayBarChevyTruck/SwayBarChevyTruck.htm

Tks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Bowtie Bits LLC --- bowtiebits.com --- has the same swaybar for $139.00 {AD-475-CP179} plus shipping.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
I installed the CPP sway bar kit earlier this week. Makes a big difference.

I encountered a few issues with the kit.

Two of the supplied bolts were supposed to be 1 3/4" long grade 5. The kit came with 2 3/4" long grade 8 bolts. (1" too long) No big deal - I happened to have some spare bolts of the correct length on hand.

The instructions do not mention the shock mounts. The shock mounts attach to the same axle U bolts that the plates for the new bar's links attach to. You have to remove the shock mounts and sandwich the plates between the axle and the shock mounts.

The holes in the plates that attach to the U bolts were poorly drilled. Simply re-drilling them on the drill press did not help as the spacing between them was out by at least 1/8". I had to elongate one hole with a file to correct the spacing. I used the shock mount as a template to mark where the hole should be.

No insurmountable issues, really.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
Good job Gord!

Last edited by Apache1; 11/08/2019 10:26 PM.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0