The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (lumbersawyer, tclederman, TUTS 59, 39Master85, 1 invisible), 38 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
I got a chrome grill from truck shop at a car show, it looked great when sitting on the floor, but when I tried to install it the bars slant down towards the center like a "V" shape. It's several inches at tne center probably, it won't even line up with the bolts on the top of the fenders. I tried looseing all the bolts but there isn't much slop for movement of the bars. Anyone else have this experience? Are all the vendor's grills from the same place?


'53 Chevy truck 1/2 ton
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe all the vendor grills are from the same place.

Fit and finish of the grills is only so-so at best. Can you post a picture?

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
And that place would be Taiwan. I have always thought this repro stuff is pretty poor. The way to go is find a halfway decent original grille, and have it's dents straigtened and rechromed. Expensive, but it will actually fit when you want to install it.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
The best candidates for chrome are the painted grills in good shape. Ask a plating shop which they would prefer. Then be patient while you look. grin

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
I looked at 3 rechrome grill places around my area (at car shows, not at their shops) which did exchange for my year grill. They wanted around $400-500 and they had a couple at the show. Most had plastic wrap around them, so I unwrapped them and every one had dents in the rear black part of the bars or something else wrong (and this is the ones they're displaying at shows). I decided the aftermarket one looked the best.

It looks good off the truck:
http://users.cwnet.com/~kevmor/new/grill.jpg

But on the truck, you can see it's shaped like a V, theres a couple inches between the hood and the top of the grill, and even the top sides aren't high enough to reach those bolt holes:
http://users.cwnet.com/~kevmor/trialfitfrontend/pdrm0030.jpg

I can't believe all these aftermarket grills won't even bolt on? I must be missing something...


'53 Chevy truck 1/2 ton
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kev - looks like your core support is low, also, I don't see the lower baffle, not sure if it is the angle or what, but it there are usually tie rod supports from the lower baffle to the core support and the grill frame attaches to this lower baffle to give it stability and stiffness.

The grill is not designed to hold the fenders apart, the baffle does this, once it is in place the grill should fit much better.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
Kev - If you mean "The Truck Shop" out of California then I also have one of their crappy grills.

I spent 4 months trying to get a refund on a grossly overcharged freight bill from these folks. When the refund finally arrived I began to put things together on the grill. My turn signal buckets won't even fit between the bars - even with the lens and bezel removed. I was so fed up with these guys that I just put it back in the box and stored it in the basement. One of these days I'll compare it to the original and see if it's as screwed up as yours looks in the picture. Just for grins try putting the turn signals in it. frown

Take it back and cut your losses.

Paul R. Wisner

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
How about framing the grille, hang it on your garage wall, and use it to hang your ball caps on?


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
They do look good hung on a wall! Even an old dented one looks good.

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
Here is a after-market that fit very nice.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
I'm not able to view the photo, and I am keenly
interested in this thread. I am getting ready to buy a chrome grill and want to get one that fits and looks good.

shoeless

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
I'd like to see your grill also and compare it to mine smile

How do you mean the parking lights don't fit? I've put just the housing in the grill and it fits ok (studs go through the grill), I haven't put the lens/bezel on yet.

I'm going to try using the lower splash pan to see if that helps.


'53 Chevy truck 1/2 ton
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
I've heard sooo many horror stories about the after market grills that I've got my wife thinking I'm CRAZY. I've bought and sold 4 1/2 grills now and continue to upgrade each time. As it sits now, I have a NOS upper that has never been chromed and a lower that is perfect (came off a fire engine that was garaged most its life). I'm with the belief that it's worth it to hang in there looking and be patient. It paid off for me but I'm so far from completing my trck, time is one thing I have.


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
How do you mean the parking lights don't fit?

Kev-

The back bars (not chrome) are so close together that you can't get the turn signal bucket in, studs won't go in the holes. Would have to force it in by spreading the bars apart (up and down). Maybe what I call "bars" are baffles, the cross pieces that the chrome bars attach to.

I could go down and take a picture but it's making me mad just thinking about it! I think I'll have a sip of Early Times and go out and continue the rebuild on the rear end (4.10 to 3.55). grin
Paul R. Wisner

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
shoeless, click on the "after-market" in my post and you should be able to view it. "after-market" here and you should be able to view it. Now, I don't thing that looks too bad for a after-market or a factory re-chrome. Try doing this, take the inter fenders from the external fenders from the radiator support and the grille. Now, try putting all of the same back together. In my experience in doing this, nothing wants to go back together as it came apart. It takes a lot of time, thinking and a loooot of patience!!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
The "aftermarket" link doesn't work.

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
OK, let's try this one !! John, that is one nice looking truck that you have saved!!!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
That link works, and THANKS, but yours has a better shine!! cool

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 71
ad-53-3100, where did you get your grill (chevy duty,etc)? I still got the box and packing from mine, it says 47-8200C in big print on the side and what it fits.


'53 Chevy truck 1/2 ton
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 86
kevmor99, here is where I got my grille. The box is long gone so, I don't know what the text was on it.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
J
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 221
These shots are of an aftermarket grill. It looks quite nice but, of course, they are no where near the quality of the original.
I don't think it matters much where you buy them, the source is probably all the same.

Regards, George

[img]http://www.mts.net/~gmills/Jarge/frntview.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mts.net/~gmills/Jarge/biggrill2.jpg[/img]


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0