The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1110713 06/29/2015 5:44 AM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Hey guys. I need your help. I bought a 1948 Chevy 1 ton in December. The guy didn't know much about it but told me it was a dump truck. It has a longbed on it and a giant hydraulic dump underneath. I can't find any others like this, so I was wondering if it is very rare or custom built? I'll try to post some pictures soon. Thanks! (P.S. it also has some other goodies that I can't figure out, like something that looks like a spotlight base on the roof?)

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Also the gas filler cap is on the driver's side? It is in some riveted on panel and I checked the passenger side but it seems filler free. What's up with this?

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Post the vin number then the model can be figured out.

N
Neverdone
Unregistered
Neverdone
Unregistered
N
Was a picture posted ?? If it was it is gone now
Dan

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
In 1947 and 1948, the fuel tank was not in the cab (it was between the frame rails in the rear - under the bed).

Here are locations of serial numbers.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
It is likely it was built under the bed or between the frame rails. But with the dump hydraulics it is possible it was moved behind the seat for space purposes.


Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
The vin is 21FSC1667

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Bryce_Sheedy/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Here is an album with the best pictures I could find. I am not home right now but I will post some better and more detailed pics when I return on Tuesday.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Originally Posted by Bryce S.
The vin is 21FSC1667

The Vehicle Serial Number

1948 truck

21 = Janesville, Wisc plant
FS = 3800 = 1 ton
C = month assembled = March

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks for the help with the vin, but I am still wondering if it the bed was swapped from a dump box to a longbed? Did they make trucks like this in the factory?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
One size bed was available on a 1-ton truck. You can find specs at the link I gave above:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/4869.htm

A dump box was not available from a GM factory. A dealer/buyer could send a cab/frame to dump box supplier.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I note the running boards are the short ones as would come with a cab and chassis, not a pickup. It looks like they were that way to start with, not shortened after the fact.
My guess is one of three posibilities...
Sold as a flat bed dump and later, perhaps much later a pickup bed installed.
Or pickup originally and early or later it was made to a dump bed, running boards were changed.
Could have been ordered as a cab and chassis and assembled with a dump mechanism and a new pickup bed when about new.

Certainly there are other possibilities too. Coming as it is now from the factory new was not one of them. Could have left the dealer or upfitter as it is now though.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks for all your help guys! It looks like a professional job, not some average Joe slapping a longbox on. Thanks again.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
The guy I bought my '48 3800 (with dump box) said his great uncle or whoever bought the PU in Montana and it came to the dealership with NO box and the rear fenders strapped to the frame. The dealership supplied an aftermarket box, dual cylinders, belt driven engine mounted hydraulic pump.
I was told that many companies offered/sold small dump boxes for pickups in that era. My box is shorter than the 9' bed and has a faded, unreadable metal tag riveted to the LF corner of the box.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
The hydraulics on mine were installed after market I would guess by the farmer that owned it. I did however find a flyer on the actual Anthony Hoist system thats now on my truck.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t492/Blind9078/T2eC16VysE9sy0iOwqBRI9FQkY5Q60_57_zpsfz3dwtcm.jpg


1949-52 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Flatbed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
This information on sources for hydraulics would have been found in the Silver and Gold books. See examples below:
1948 Issue:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/16736434779/in/album-72157631872034068/
1954 Issue:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/16708704180/in/album-72157631872034068/
1954 Hydraulic page (several options):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/16894892712/in/album-72157631872034068/
These books contained sources for bodies, fire trucks, all specialized applications that a dealer could use to source customer options.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0