The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
I am about ready to start into my 1952 3100. I can already tell I will need to replace the floor, cab corners, and passenger side cowl. I am trying to figure out the order of what I should do.
This is what I am thinking.

1. Media Blast
2. Primer (etching primer?) Any suggestions?
3. Replace bad metal panels.
4. Filler/Bondo
5. Filler Primer
6. Epoxy Primer

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brad

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Use an epoxy primer.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Blast
Replace rusty bits
Epoxy primer
Body work /fillers what have yoi
Reduced Epoxy primer / sealer
Paint


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I do all of my cutting, welding, and dent repairs (excluding filler) prior to blasting.
As a hobbyist, I can't get it all done at once, so there is bare metal exposed to the elements throughout the process. This is not a problem since everything will be blasted and epoxy primed once I have everything done. Once everything gets back, epoxy primed, I can begin high build primer and filler work on top of the epoxy without worrying about rust.
I never understood why anyone would do the blasting first on a rust bucket, unless they had the ability to knock out all of the repairs in a day or two.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Glad I asked. Lots of different opinions. The elements aren't an issue, as the truck is in my garage. As I watch different car shows, they all seem to do it in a different order. I am liking the idea of doing all the repairs first and then blasting. Thanks for the advice.
Brad

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
ansec66,

I see myself heading in the same direction. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of keeping everything in the garage (small single car garage), so I have to do some planning. I also like the way that 52Carl has laid out his work. Thanks 52Carl!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,811
After blasting or chemical cleaning, surface rust is going to be a problem unless your shop is in a very low humidity area like the desert. At least apply a "guide coat" of primer to limit how must rust you'll have to deal with later, immediately after media blast work. The old style lacquer-based primers will suck up moisture like a sponge, so be careful how long primed parts are exposed to humidity before they get a finish coat.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Leaving the old paint on while working out the major dents and dings helps a lot. It enables you to see the high and lows spots quite effectively which you can then hammer and dolly out. Leave it, then blast in my opinion too.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Well, I dont mean to toss a wrench in the machinery here, but how do you know if you have made all the repairs if you don't blast it first? Over years and years of use, people do repairs, etc and paint over it. If it was a competent job, you have NO idea whats under there until you blast it.

Another problem is the thickness of the metal where rust occurs. Blasting can expose very thin areas that need repair. To get a really good look at what needs repair, I don't know of another way. Dents and dings I understand, but when metal gets really thin, and you have a patch panel ready to put in, you may need more repair and not know it.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I agree with Deve.

- Blast to clean metal and assess damage (and maybe find previous bondo/filler/poor-repairs that have to be removed).

- epoxy prime

- clean (remove primer) from areas that need metal replaced/repaired

- repair/replace metal

- prep part for priming (whole part or worked-on areas)

- epoxy prime (whole part or worked-on areas)

- prep/fill/seal/etc for painting

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
Here is what I did

Blasted
Banged dents
Welded patch panels
Clean with pre cleaner
Rage Gold where needed
Epoxy Primed
Filler primer (sand)
2k primed
I live in Arizona and it was stored indoors so I had time to do that.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Here is a Deve point of fact; Everyone has the exact same amount of TIME.

So, here is what I am driving at.. Blasting sucks! But after you have done that, plan on the day after blasting doing epoxy priming. Within 7 days, you also have to high build primer, or, you have to re-scuff the epoxy! So the procedure is...

1) Sandblast
2) Epoxy Prime the next day or within a reasonable period..
3) High build Urethane Prime within the 7 day required window.

Once you have done this, the clock stops. There is no windows to concern yourself with. You CAN put Rage Gold or a good premium body filler directly over metal. I choose to do that over the High Build Urethane at my leisure.

Where do repairs come in that ruin your primer jobs? Anywhere you want them to. You can fix everything, then reprime the area according to the above. Epoxy primer is not ONE and DONE. If you repair an area, its okay to shoot epoxy again. Just remember epoxy has a 7 day window. If you go to day 8, you get to spend the NEXT 8 days scuffing the epoxy! Instead, apply a single coat of Urethane high build to stop the clock.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 187
I did the chemical strip to a nice metal finish. Had to leave the project for a year and gave it a coat of rattle can primer, now I wished I had covered the horizontal surfaces with plastic or some such. I think that would of helped reduce the rust that returned (live on the west coast with lots of moisture}. Now I'm back to stripping it down to metal and epoxy prime immediately the areas that I expose. I've been doing some research about roll-on epoxy primer, with a high build later. Anyone have any experience with that...cheers


I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
The very first thing that I do is use Norton Paint Stripper discs to find all of the rust-thru and bondo areas. It goes very quickly and shows you where the work needs to be done just as well as media blasting.
If I were to blast and epoxy prime first, there is no way I can finish all of the patch welding, and body filler work within the 7 day no-scuffing-required time period (I need more like a 7 Month window). I don't like the idea of having to scuff every square inch of that rock hard primer.
Carl

Last edited by 52Carl; 06/16/2015 3:34 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I don't like the idea of having to scuff every square inch of that rock hard primer

Patience and determination.

I have primed parts that have waiting for attention for over three years. Scuff them and move on.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Just remember you don't have to scuff if you put a coat of high build Urethane over it in the 7 day window. Cause I agree! There is nothing worse than rock hard epoxy primer. I didn't mix my first frame right and had to scuff an entire frame, so it will NOT happen again. EVER!! wink


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
When you guys say scuff it after the 7-day window, what do you use?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Thanks for the info guys; much appreciated!


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I used a red scothbrite pad. Every square inch should be scuffed otherwise adhesion problems occur. This is why I avoid that process. The Epoxy Primer IN its 7 day window had super adhesion properties, but after that 7 days, it depends on the scuff job you do. Why not just clean your gun and hit it with High Build Primer to stop the clock? With the high build on it, you can put it away for a very long time and it will be as good as the day you did it.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 165
Hi Dennis - assuming you plan on more 2k primer or another coat of epoxy, a quick scuff with 180 or 220 is all you need. For me at least, this is the fastest way to cut into the harder epoxies out there with the least amount of effort. If you are working on a very detailed area you may want to approach it differently but on big panels the scuffing really isn't that hard. Personally I like using the epoxy as a guide coat. I have stuff in epoxy that is over 10 years old and have no concerns about adhesion when the time comes.

Deve's point about the thin metal is very valid so my vote is to blast first and epoxy prime if you are going to be a while and presuming you aren't replacing half the metal in your truck to begin with.

Good luck


36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away
52 Chevy 3100 - in progress
72 Chevy K20 - DD

PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!

NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by 5150scott
Deve's point about the thin metal is very valid so my vote is to blast first and epoxy prime if you are going to be a while and presuming you aren't replacing half the metal in your truck to begin with.

Good luck
Good point Scott. Seems like all I ever have to work on is borderline basket cases. That's a big reason why I haven't considered blasting first.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Thanks Deve and Scott on what you use for scuffing. I didn't think much about the window when I started this little project. Now I shoot it again with the high build primer. It's only money.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
To add another option, my blaster applied a coat of zinc phosphate, Blastshield, after blasting. The claim is 5 mos indoor protection for flash oxidation. This should be enough time for me to fix the rot and get into primer. More info at classiccarblasting.com.

Last edited by Nhluvstruck; 07/18/2015 3:08 AM.

NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window,.sold, regretted
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0