The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Jon G, Gray_Ghost), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1106647 06/05/2015 11:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
7
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
7 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Now I know what a sardine feels like in those cans!
I am 6'5" and 320 pounds (no wise cracks I already lost 45lbs.with more to go).
Are there any ideas or mods to tweek out more interior space? I have already had seats redone with thinner sponge and also will curve floor shifter away from me.
Any ideas out there??
John.


1950 Chevrolet 1300 - Canadian Built
This truck is now for sale (9/2016)
All Original
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Bolt Bucket
7998 #1106652 06/06/2015 12:21 AM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 161
My grandson is 6'2" 300lbs.He can't fit in my 51 3100 good enough to drive it.
On the other hand I love the size.I am 5'4" 150lbs.And for once I can drive without a cushion to give me more height on the seat.---Jack

7998 #1106674 06/06/2015 2:14 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Crap! No wise cracks allowed!
Congratulations on losing the 45.
Only advice I can offer is to consider a Task Force truck.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
7998 #1106695 06/06/2015 3:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
7
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
7 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Thanks Carl, I have a 50 Chev 5 window which I can't wait too drive once the resto is finished. But it is sure short on interior space.


1950 Chevrolet 1300 - Canadian Built
This truck is now for sale (9/2016)
All Original
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Bolt Bucket
7998 #1106735 06/06/2015 2:03 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Without knowing what your truck actually is, if there is a fuel tank behind the seat, remove it and replace with a frame mount tank. You'll gain a lot more leg room. Also go to moveable mount seats, like bucket seats.


Drew
7998 #1107415 06/09/2015 11:38 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
One way to fix it, is to shorten the column and shaft about 2 inches. i saw one at a show and i could not figure out what was different about the truck. the owner said all he did was shorten the column and steering shaft 2 inches. he was at lest 6 ft 4 in and about 275. root good luck

7998 #1108314 06/15/2015 3:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
I replaced my original seat with the plainest seat you can get out of a '95ish Chevy work truck (W/T) and can now sit with my left leg STRAIGHT out with my foot next to the dimmer switch. I'm only 6'0" but I felt so crowded in my truck before the switch. Now I straighten my arm out to grab the choke knob and there's lots of room over my head. It fits perfect with the gas tank still in the cab. In fact If I removed the tank I would gain nothing.

Also, as root says, shorten the steering column, a couple inches would make a big difference.

Last edited by twotone; 06/15/2015 3:18 AM. Reason: speld sum wurds rong :)
root #1108365 06/15/2015 1:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Rather than shortening the column you might want to consider a steering wheel with less dish. I did this on my '65, replaced the stock wheel with a Grant #992 steering wheel.

Hope this helps. thumbs_up

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/...Status%20Photos/GEDC1238_zps6cfb736b.jpg

7998 #1108368 06/15/2015 1:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 639
I don't think you can get any less dish than you get with a '50 steering wheel.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0