Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | Wondering if this is a good option? I have the chance to buy approximately 100 boards of dry birch that measure anywhere from 3/4" to 1&1/4" thick, 7-8" wide, and up to 110" long. The guy wants $300. I know that I could make some of them work for a 1/2 ton at least. Is birch a good wood? I like the grain I saw yesterday. Is the price reasonable? I might be able to resell the leftovers to a couple buddies who like to do wood work. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Birch is beautiful wood especially boards with character. It would not be suitable for bed wood if it will be subjected to the elements. It is prone to rotting. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | I don't plan on my trucks being worked at all. Just driven when it's nice out. I plan on sealing up the wood quite well. Should be ok I think under these circumstances. Their hauling days are long over.  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | It would still absorb too much moisture and rot from the inside. Not a good choice. $300 is pretty high for the square feet you need for the bed. (being Birch). Just saying. (you know me, just trying to get my post count up!) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 165 | Hi Fox - I work a lot with wood and birch really is terrible outdoor wood. I learned that the hard way many years ago.
Given the effort to mill the stuff to size and seal it properly, personally I wouldn't use it if it were free. In my neck of the woods the price is awesome, but only if you wanted to make furniture or cabinets with it.
Good Luck
36 Chevy 1.5 ton - rusting away 52 Chevy 3100 - in progress 72 Chevy K20 - DD
PANTS UP DON'T LOOT! PANTS UP DON'T LOOT!
NEVER watch another man eat a banana.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 252 | I bought the wood for my bed from Mar-K. It is the correct Southern Yellow Pine and was beautiful #1 material. http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/catalog.aspx | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Bought mine from Mar-K also. Beautiful wood and it's pine. Just like what came on the truck from the factory. Same money and a LOT LESS WORK for you than having to make bed boards from scratch.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | Seems to be unanimous! Thanks guys for the heads up. I'll pass on it. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | I used poplar over the winter to do my 46. It won't see any hauling or outside storage. Some pictures here Have fun and good luck Dan | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 186 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 186 | I went to a local hardwood supply company for about 150 picked up enough oak to do my bed. The stain is what makes mine different. https://flic.kr/p/twfP9C | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 145 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 145 | Great info! Sort of related; my truck is missing bothe the wood and the metal strips. I can come up with wood, but is anyone aware of a decent substitute to use in place of the factory metal strips?. The truck is FAR from original, and I would like it to be somewhat functional. TIA Mike | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | For decent functionality on the cheap, get tongue in groove wood, bolt them down every so often to the cross supports, and you should be good to go. The metal strips are available through most of our vendors. You can get them in regular mild steel, even stainless. The regular ones arent that expensive, but most lumber yards carry tongue in groove lumber. Good luck! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | But Deve, The boards in the bed are different widths and the T&G are all the same. So either the seams in the boards are going to be exposed and/or the metal strips will be running down the middle of a board or you'll have a bolt close to the edge of a board. For a functional easy fix just get 2 4x8x3/4" sheets of T&G plywood decking then you can at least drill and use the original bolt hole spacing with no metal strips needed. To 'preserve' the plywood in my ToyGMC short bed I mixed up a gallon of 2 parts used motor oil, 2 parts deck oil and 1 part wood stain. Coated all sides and let it soak in over night then recoated everything. Works great! but this is my garbage hauler... Though a table saw and router is all you need to make the proper boards out of what ever species one chooses.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | The cross sills are going to keep them all nice and tidy. But sure, I am also a woodworker so absolutely go with sheet stock. Its cheaper for sure. And, your concoction will make sure the wood stays firm for years. It really all depends on what you want it to look like when you are done. These days, its back to original, or not at all for me, but others arent as picky.. there are two great solutions here for you! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Maybe I try to discourage some from trying to make half a donkey out of their project and at the same time get them to start thinking about something closer to Original or at least more 'professional'... The 'slap some paint on it' just seems so.... 80's. I use the Yota example only cause the 56 GMC bed on an 88 Toy IS Original...  so right there "Original" is what 'I' say it is. In this case a Black Epoxy primer is the original paint. My 58 GMC 1/2 ton on the other hand...
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Well, Caso, they never ask "Deve, what would YOU do?". Of course if they had, it would be using the proper metal strips and wood to restore the truck to its original or better glory. A younger, less experienced me would do the suggestions above. In the end, the metal strips and original type bedwood will be back if the truck lasts long enough. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 |  I personally feel if the truck made it this far it deserves a quality restoration, to original or with a make over I don't care. Just no 'Lipstick but no eye shadow and what ever it is those cover girls wear' jobs...and yes that "80's" crack was at my own expense/experience. 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | |
| |