Here’s the story of how I acquired my ’53 Chevy 3100. On a rainy day last summer I was sitting at the computer looking at pictures of trucks online, as I was prone to do. My 11 year old granddaughter asked me why I was “always looking at pictures of old trucks” and I told her that I had wanted one since I was a teenager. After cogitating on that for a few minutes she said “grandpa, why don’t you just get one?” Boy, from the mouths of babes! I figured that this life ain’t no dress rehearsal and I decided to get serious about a search.
At the suggestion of a friend I subscribed to HMN and saw an ad for a ’53 Chevy ½ ton pickup to be sold at auction in Chillicothe, Ohio in September. The widow of a highly respected gentleman there was selling this truck as well as several other vintage cars that he had restored. I checked out the truck prior to the auction and was amazed at how clean and rust-free it was. The auction was exciting and I wound up taking home my prize.
When I got it home and checked it out thoroughly I found that the PO had replaced the original 216 cid with a high pressure 261. After tuning it up, rebuilding the carburetor, replacing the fuel pump and sealing the gas tank, it ran like a dream!
Since then I’ve converted it to 12 volt, installed three-point seat belts, replaced the fuel tank sending unit, replaced the stop light switch, replaced door weatherseals and cab windlace, installed electric windshield wipers and some other interior upgrades.
There is SO MUCH I need to learn and, thankfully, I’ve gained a great deal of via the Stovebolt forums. Now I’m searching for a vintage truck club in my area and hope to meet like-minded folks this summer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cr1numnx6j9i2y/IMG_20150424_194152656_HDR.jpg?dl=0