The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shaffer's1950, Mather, KEVINSKI, TUTS 59), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,291
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1093468 03/24/2015 7:55 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions. I think I have one in just about every section.
Sent radiator out to get redone and they are telling me it's old and rotted and needs replaced . So I'm finding out the GMCs are diff then Chevys and as such harder to find.

So far I have found
US radiator -- aluminum 2 large cores for $405
Jim Carter -- copper 4 row for $440

Anything else out there ?
What do you guys recommend aluminum or copper ?
Staying with the ole 6 for now but some day who knows and don't wanna buy twice.

Thanks.


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I would just go online to ebay. There are some guys selling aluminum radiators that fit right in for $120-$200. Aluminum is fine if Original isn't a big concern. I have seen th eHarrison radiators that need to be recored going for that much. The only thing usable is the frame and the top and bottom tanks.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 78
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 78
09jk, check out the youtube video comparison on v4Bill his original GMC radiator and the US radiator offered from jim carter interesting detail. I like the copper radiator you pay more, its great quality.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkdnmoUb8o

_____________________________________________________

Steve

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Builder

Thanks I will have to dig into that site deeper. That one there is for 55-59 , but hope they have 53.
My filler neck isn't top mounted , it comes straight back towards engine then 90s up with a cap.
Maybe that's the diff from 53 GMC to Chevy ,,, my radiator sets deep into core support and the top is covered , my guess is to make room for the longer GMC engine.

Last edited by 09JK; 03/24/2015 9:41 PM.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Steve D
09jk, check out the youtube video comparison on v4Bill his original GMC radiator and the US radiator offered from jim carter interesting detail. I like the copper radiator you pay more, its great quality.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkdnmoUb8o


That does look like the best option so far .
I called radiator express and they don't make one for the GMC
Quick EBay search shows a bunch that say they fit the GMC , but the pic shows fill cap is on top of tank, maybe they are saying it will fit if I cut my core support. Gonna make some more calls
Again I wanna thank everyone for the help and keep the ideas coming.

_____________________________________________________

Steve

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
There is a guy on ebay that I bought soem radiators from. I talked ot him ponce. Might want to see if you can find him and give him a call. He goes by Dr. Radiator, or Dr. Cooling or something on that order. He shouldn't too hard to find. I will try to look it up when I can.

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the 4 row from Jim Carter's.
There just is little to no options out there for the GMC unless you want to modify the core support and/or radiator .

Should be bolting her in today.

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Went to install the new Jim Carter 4 core today and NO luck. It hits the fan blades.
I imagine they know about the little to no clearance on these long motor GMC's so figured the xtra cores they added would have been towards the grill , but looks like they went towards the engine side. Lucky I'm local to Jim Carter and sure they will take care of me one way or another . So looks like I will be searching for another option.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
I had my original 52 GMC radiator re-cored at a local radiator shop for around $400. 52 GMC radiator
Mike

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Neither of their salesmen knew , and their website mentions nothing of it. But I thumbed throught the Jim Carter catalog and it clearly states 4 core radiators will not work with factory 6 cyl engines. Swapped it out for a 3 core for $395.
Still a lot of hassle and drive time to find out what they should have known.

Last edited by 09JK; 04/08/2015 2:32 AM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0