The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Southerntruck, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, fonz8261, 2 invisible), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
I don't think that there is a stock fastener on my 52. I'm thinking of buying the set. Has anyone purchased this set? Does the stainless hold paint?
David


1952 Chevy 3100
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
If I am not mistaken Totally Stainless is the supplier for them
(and others). www.totallystainless.com They can answer most any question you have about the SS bolts. Yes, you can paint stainless, but why spend the extra money just to cover them?


Drew
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

David,

We have painted some stainless hardware. Do the same prep you would do with regular steel.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
Tim, thanks for the information. At some point, I'm going to do a full paint job. I was just thinking that it might be more economical to have a fastener kit on hand as I work on my truck. Do you know of other kits that are steel?
David


1952 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
To assure good paint adhesion on stainless you have to use an etching primer (aluminum and galvanized as well).

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
David,

I agree with Drew: it looks like some of the other vendors who sell kits get the kits from Totally Stainless.

Totally Stainless
Jim Carter Truck Parts
American Classic Truck Parts
Classic Parts of America (Truck Parts)
Chevs of the 40s

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Tim, I have been to their facility near Gettysburg(actually Aspers) and you would be surprised as to who they supply. Even to overseas sellers. As a side note while they are not a retail outlet there, you can order supplies and pick it up there if you are in the area. Saves on shipping. They have also made up a custom set for me at no additional charge. They even helped me figure out sizes I was unsure of. Really nice people and surprisingly a smallish operation.


Drew
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Body bolt kit? Like as in the cab? I would not use stainless. Stainless does not have the strength in my opinion. How about some grade 5 or even grade 8 hardware?

Just my thinking, the stronger the better.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

http://www.totallystainless.com/totallystainless.htm

http://www.totallystainless.com/TechArticles.html

Nonetheless, as TrknGMC posted above:

"ABOUT YOUR SAFETY: We offer a unique line of 'GRADE 8' strength stainless for high strength applications, note regular stainless steel fasteners are only slightly stronger than GRADE 2! Unless you have a death wish, DON'T BOLT YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM OR SUSPENSION TOGETHER WITH REGULAR STRENGTH STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS!!! Regular strength stainless is great for a variety of automotive applications, but use some common sense. Always follow the application guidelines of the original manufacturer and refer to the torque table on the next page. Even if your vehicle is a show-only "trailer queen", some day someone will drive it on the street, so DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! See inside back cover for more technical information."

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
This is good information to read over. I could not get the Totally Stainless catalog to open, but do any of the vendors list a parts breakdown of what is included in their body bolt kits? Such as 1/4"-20 x 6", QTY 6, for example...? I have a FAM, but I was looking for an easy reference.

dg1952- I don't mean to butt in on your thread, but I'm getting frustrated that all of my original hardware I could salvage & use is making the new hardware look bad. I may have to make up a new set just for uniformity (& safety as referenced above).

Brad



Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
Brad, I agree that every time I add some new hardware I see some other that needs replacing. I'm also having trouble finding some parts locally.


1952 Chevy 3100
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Tractor Supply sells hardware by the pound & that's where I've had the most luck as far as a local source. It's about the most inexpensive place to get nuts/bolts/washers that I've found.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I took a couple of trucks that I had for parts and dismantled them. I threw all the bolts into a bucket and brought them down to my local plating shop for zinc. Took a couple of days and cast me about $30 for 3 1/2 gallons of bolts. They look lik enew.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0