The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 61
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 61
Should I powdercoat or paint my frame after it's been sandblasted? Also, whatever the answer, can I do it myself?


63 Chevrolet Short Fleetside
64 Chevrolet Long Stepside
http://community.webshots.com/user/64stepside
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
I finished painting my frame not to long ago,
but if I were to do it over again I would
go with the powdercoat. I found a guy close
by that would have done it for about what it cost
me for paint and sandblasting. And he does all
the work. I don't think you will be able to
powder coat the frame. It takes a lot of heat
and you need a large oven to fit that frame in.
A lot of powder coaters can even do it because
they don't have an oven large enough. You
might want to call around and see what the cost
is and even see if they can do it. Then you
might get a better idea as to wheather you are
going to paint or powder coat.

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
I can't give you a long term perspective, as I just brought mine home this week. I had it blasted and then powder coated. Both guys are awesome. The powder coat seems to really get into everywhere, so it should last. I could paint it for what they charged, but why? Get a pro to do a top notch job and never worry about it again. Shop around a bit and see what you find. I went out into a more rural area and found true craftsman who don't charge like the city guys.

Don't tick yourself off later by tring to skimp on this one. Some stuff you would be willing to re-do. Would you really want to re-do a frame later so you could save a hundred bucks?

Good luck!!

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
Anybody have any thoughts on clearcoating the powder coated product? My guy said it was a good idea. Seems like a smart plan. Any voices of experience?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
Depending on type or color of the powder coat, clear is required for UV protection.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
'64crazy, where are you from? I'm having mine powdercoated by Panhandle Powdercoaters in Pensacola, Fl. They have an in-house blasting facility; my frame is never sitting in the weather at any time during the process. It will run me about $275-$475, depending on how much cleanup they will have to do (I'm pressurewashing everything first to keep the cost down). I couldn't paint it for that price. It will take him about 3-5 days; NO WAY could I do it that quick.

Painting isn't even an option for me; and in keeping with Jake53's mindset, I want to do the frame ONCE.


Mike from Alabama
My truck on Stovebolt
My website
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0