The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Still At It), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
I removed the balancer on my 235. I removed the timing cover seal and replaced it with a new one, in place, not removed. While I did this I noticed there was a thin washer lookin thing behind the balancer and in front of the timing gear. It's hard to see exactly what this washer/spacer is, but it does have a keyway in it. The key in the timing gear is flush, so it doesn't catch the keyway in this washer, so the washer can spin freely without the balancer in place. My question is, what is this thin alien washer, and is the orientation/timing of it important? I haven't installed the balancer yet, and I tapped a 7/16" NF thread in the crank. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lemmm117; 01/12/2015 2:49 AM.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That spacer is listed for 1955 second series only.
Group #0.662
Part #3723794.
I have a package of five NOS examples.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 192
Hmmm. The numbers on this engine indicate that it is from a '56 car with a manual tranny. Anyways, is it just a washer, is it something else like a oil dipper or something different than just a plain washer? I can't see it completely so I don't know it's full shape. Also would like to know if the orientation of it is important.

Last edited by Lemmm117; 01/12/2015 1:11 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
There is no telling what some previous owners did to the engine over the years. Someone may have put it there because the last engine they rebuilt had one???
I'd do it like the repair manual says do it for your year engine.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The main difference is what balancer you have.
It will make very little difference whether or not you use the washer, only slight belt alignment difference.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0