The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, Gray_Ghost, JW51, ronsway), 175 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1037051 06/22/2014 2:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
fclaridge #1037437 06/24/2014 12:34 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Looking good Fred. We have to get together some time and share project progress stories and ideas. The Bulldog has a completely rebuilt front axle suspension steering and brakes since you saw it last.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
fred
what did you torque the axle bolts to? the 4 under the axle on each side
thanks
Chris
51 chevy coe

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Chris,

Check out this web site for U-bolt torque info

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/pages/U-Bolt_Torque.html

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Thanks Grant, yes we should get together. Haven't seen you in a while. Chris, I haven't torqued them yet and Mike B, that's a great link to that information. Thank you. Now to get my hands on a torque wrench that big. LOL


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Fred,
Thanks much for the link.Important info.
Chris

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
I'd like to know more about your axle and disc brake setup. I'm rebuilding a 1948 1.5T farm truck, and would like to upgrade from what is under it now. All brake cylinders are beyond rebuild, so I'm looking at some $$ any way I look at it.

fclaridge #1077100 01/04/2015 12:07 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
I used axle that was already set up with disc brakes. It came out of a late model HD3500 dually. The spring pads were about 3/8" different from the original so I just widened the alignment hole about 3/16" on either side. The pad was also set up for a wider leaf so the U bolts wouldn't quite fit. Just due to the corners of the pads basically. So I cutoff to the corners of the pads and it works fine. I had a local hose shop custom make a hose that connected the original brake line to the new axle. The new flex line was made longer to accommodate the different mounting location. I did not need to do any mods for the shocks, as those are integrated with the U bolts and frame mounted. Now with the disc brakes and a taller set of gears, going from 6.17s to 4.63s, I'll have a better ride and easier cruise.

And offtopic, I'm putting in a TH400 from and RV and I just acquired, for $50 (yes Fifty), a scrap Stepvan with the disc brakes in the front that has the 5-10 lug pattern and 19.5 wheels. I'll use the front spindles and brake hardware to convert the front brakes to disc as well just like Grigg's Tech Tip. Which is brilliant by the way. The local spring shop will custom make a set of bushings to match the kingpins off the bus and the spindles off the Stepvan. Then just hook up a brake line or two and that's done too.


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
fclaridge #1077569 01/05/2015 11:56 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Lookin' Good! --- I see we went the same route (Dana 80HD) on rear axles for our buses. I wound up getting a new set of lighter rear springs in the hope of softening the ride a bit. Only difference on the front is that I am going to try out Randy Domeck's disk kit. I am looking at mounting the Hydroboost & Master from the same C3500 under the floor since I have no room left under my narrow-nosed '46 hood.

I'm guessing you have a lot more room than I do so what are you doing in that department?

Last edited by Tango; 01/05/2015 11:58 PM.

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
I just rebuilt the original springs for the rear. It still sits kind of tall, but later this year I'd like to get wheel adapters and put on some modern 22.5 wheels and low pro tires. That should make it look good. So knowing that I did not do anything to change the springs and have to spend the money all over again. I am going to use the Hydrovac I have in there that has been rebuilt and fabricate a bracket to accomodate a more modern larger bore MC. I think with the suggestions I got from some guys here about the HV was good info so I'm going to keep it in and make sure I have it set up right.


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0