The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072019 12/07/2014 3:10 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
T
tko
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
As I am sure that this topic has been beaten to death I apologize in advance. I have a 1950 4403 that I am attempting to place back into service after sitting for probably six years. Long story short My grandfather gave the truck to me after he had purchased it from my dad. I Ultimatley would like it to pull my camper from jobsite to jobsite as I travel more than I'd like. Okay on to my question. I was researching old car manual project and I noticed that the spindle size for the 3600, 3800 and 4400 are the same diamaters. Wouldn't it be possible to simply swap the hubs from any of those models? In turn wouldn't that alow someone to run an eight bolt wheel on a 1.5 ton truck? The more about this i read the more confused I become as I am not wanting to do p-30 cut and swaps (although Grigg your work is phenominal, just a little to advanced for my blood). that would also allow a simple rear axle swap to a 1 ton without much modification. not withstanding wrong tire size looks, what do all think?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
You could swap 3/4 or 1 ton axles if you really wanted.
Your front axle beam and the spindles are the same, but brake parts and obviously hub is different.
You would then have smaller brakes and still some difficulty finding drums and such if you need them.
Were I in your shoes I'd either keep it like it is, not seeing any real advantage to swapping 3/4 or 1 ton parts. Or I'd swap newer axle parts that are more likely to have brake parts available for some time yet.

To use P30 parts you'd need the axle beam from a 2 ton. Then ream the bushings out of the P30 spindles to fit the 2 ton bushings inside of them. That's about all the machine work necessary beyond fabricating or assembling a drag link.
The rear from a P30 is an easy swap.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Your in the same boat as myself. I have a 1954 chevy COE and wanting to go to a 8 lug up front, I cant find a 8 lug axle or any parts to swap spindles or much info. I swapped out the rear 10 bolt with a 8 lug out of a tow truck.

Keep us in the loop.


1954 Chevy COE
1948 Metro Van
1979 RH drive mini cooper

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
There is an 8 lug I beam P30 front axle you could swap spindles with.
Smaller brakes than the 5/10 lug version.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I can't really see a problem with going with an 8 lug hub.

One issue I see is with the brakes. I would go with a 52 and newer, in order to get Bendix style brakes. Of course the 3800 trucks will have the larger brake drums.

Wheels, not for sure what to tell you. Are you going with SRW or Dually? Wanting to update to newer Steelies or Aluminum? If you go SRW, the most backspacing you can have is 4.25" don't know about duallies.

One of the advantages of going to 8 lug, is being able to swap in a later 14 bolt axle for better gearing.

Anyhow, I'm all for it.





1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I think 8 lug on a big truck is sort of wrong, and on a COE with lots of front axle weight...?

The later model P-30 8 lug axle with disc brakes is the same as the 10 lug version except for hub/rotor and caliper bracket, they use a smaller diameter rotor than the 5/10 lug version. So it's a pretty stout front axle beam and bearings but not as good on the brakes, but still pretty large disc brakes.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=725027#Post725027

I would not use an 8 lug axle from the older trucks, they're relatively wimpy compared to the axle you'd be removing.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
So the question is where can we find a axle or parts? I have been looking for about 2 months and no luck. So are you saying I can swap hubs on my 5/10 lug axle to the 8 lug? The other question is, the lug pattern is it 8 x 6.5. I have wheels already powder coated.

Thanks for the help


1954 Chevy COE
1948 Metro Van
1979 RH drive mini cooper

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
http://www.dvap.com/salvage/1951chevrolet-truck-3600-51ctnv01c/

Here's a start.

Just FYI- the 3600 and 3800 use different front leaf springs. The hole for the center pin is the same, you'll have to oblong the holes for the u-bolts.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by Dodgecummins
...So are you saying I can swap hubs on my 5/10 lug axle to the 8 lug? The other question is, the lug pattern is it 8 x 6.5.
What axle are you talking about? original axle or a later model P-30 axle?

If the original 2 ton truck axle you can swap spindles and everything outside of them from a later model P-30 axle with disc brakes. Info in link above.

If talking about a 5/10 lug P-30 I-beam front axle then you could swap hubs, caliper brackets, and dust shields from an 8 lug version of same axle.

The 8 lug is on 6.5" pattern.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
[quote=Whitedog]http://www.dvap.com/salvage/1951chevrolet-truck-3600-51ctnv01c/

I was able to find that same axle for sale local but with the standered dually wheels they would be such a crazy offset. Or are you saying I use that axle and swap out hubs, brakes and so forth,

Grigg, Sorry let me start over.
I would like to keep my set up under the truck but swap out spindels, brakes, hubs if I can to get to the 8 lug I'm looking for. If I need to buy a P30 style axle and start over I will also.

I looked at 8 lug from a older RV last weekend but it was 80 inches wide and my truck is about 71 inches.

I'm very sorry, everything else on the truck I'm good with but this front axle is killing me.. I feel stuipid at this point. HAHA

Last edited by Dodgecummins; 12/19/2014 4:28 AM.

1954 Chevy COE
1948 Metro Van
1979 RH drive mini cooper

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I have been suggesting using your original axle beam and disc brakes and hubs from a P-30, see link in my post above, now several above.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
I will read that post again. Thanks for your help.


1954 Chevy COE
1948 Metro Van
1979 RH drive mini cooper

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
T
tko
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
I mean i could probably just say [censored] on it and buy new tires and just drive it. the only thing that i see is that i really have no need for a 1.5 ton truck. But the whole darn thing is kind of sentimental to me. i learned to drive on that exact truck. when my dad bought 20 years ago it had been sitting in a mechanics lot for years with a brand new 235 sitting in it. we used to haul around 250 bushels of corn for quite a while. years later my grandfather acquired it and gave it back to me about a year before he died. I do remember the thing running about 60 mph a few times empty but that was pretty wound up. My major thought was what if i converted it to newer 3/4 ton to 1/ton running gear and run it would that make it drive down the road a little easier. I have even thought about converting to 4wd. just cant seem to find a lot of info on that either.


1950 Chevy 4403 due for some TLC
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Originally Posted by Dodgecummins
[quote=Whitedog]http://www.dvap.com/salvage/1951chevrolet-truck-3600-51ctnv01c/

I was able to find that same axle for sale local but with the standered dually wheels they would be such a crazy offset. Or are you saying I use that axle and swap out hubs, brakes and so forth.

I guess I'm a little confused on what you are planning to do.

Anyhow, yes you could just use the Hubs and brakes from a donor. Or you could use a whole axle assembly from a donor.



1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by tko
....i really have no need for a 1.5 ton truck. But the whole darn thing is kind of sentimental to me. i learned to drive on that exact truck. when my dad bought 20 years ago it had been sitting in a mechanics lot for years with a brand new 235 sitting in it. we used to haul around 250 bushels of corn for quite a while. years later my grandfather acquired it and gave it back to me about a year before he died.
With all due respect--where is it written that you have to have a "need" for a truck in order to have it? It was your family's truck, passed down from your dad and grandfather. That's reason enough! Leave it the way it is, drive it in a parade once in a while, and just enjoy your family heirloom.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I'm not sure what changing things around will really gain you, given the intended use or lack of use. Plus it seems functional as is and has meaning and significance as is.
Just drive it, save the time and money the changes would cost and buy some fuel and drive.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
T
tko
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Rich and Grigg. Thanks for the insight. Never thought of it that way. Merry Christmas.


1950 Chevy 4403 due for some TLC

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0