The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (fonz8261, 1 invisible), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,317
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1064446 10/25/2014 4:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
One of our members has a 235 with worn lifter bores. Apparently there was a failure in the rocker oil supply. I have seen lots of discussion about boring cylinders etc. but I have not seen lifter bore problems mentioned. Is this something that is checked on a rebuild and is there a way of repairing the problem?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
I worked for a very high end race shop for over 15 years, and the only way to do this correctly is to use a lifter truing fixture such as those made by BHJ to relocate the lifter bore angle and location precisely, otherwise you will wipe the lobe off the cam. Once that is done, the lifter bore can be bushed and re-sized. Since these lifter bore truing fixtures are only available for the more common engine like small blocks and others, someone is going to have to pony up some big bucks to have one made. At this point, it probably will be cheaper to get another block.

I know of people who have tried to do this without these special fixtures and the results were high percentages of failures.


We cannot solve our problems today using the same thinking we used when we created them!

Albert Einstein
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
12 Port,
do you have any idea how often this problem would have shown up on these old sixes? I think it is the first time I have seen it discussed here.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have not seen worn lifter bores to be a problem on these early sixes.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
What makes you believe your lifter bores are out of spec?

I've never heard of lifter bores being worn other than on race engines or severely high mile engines.

If your bores are out of spec, check out these sites.

http://www.wydendorfmachine.com/reamerkits.html

http://www.paeco.com/Valve%20lifters.htm

http://www.theengineshop.com/produc...-accessories/bronze-lifter-bushings.html

http://www.jesel.com/valvetrain/index.php/lifters/bushings

http://www.lsmeng.com/Bushings.html


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
Originally Posted by truckernix
12 Port,
do you have any idea how often this problem would have shown up on these old sixes? I think it is the first time I have seen it discussed here.

Yeah it's probably not very common for these engines to have this issue. So repairing a block is going to be expensive and hardly cost effective.


We cannot solve our problems today using the same thinking we used when we created them!

Albert Einstein
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I have only seen one post about the problem.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
It's also possible it is and it just isn't recognized for what it is. How many people mic the lifter bores and check the lifter clearances when they rebuild an engine? Still it isn't super common, but mostly in neglected and abused engines.


We cannot solve our problems today using the same thinking we used when we created them!

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0