The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, John Dlugos, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Oswald, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060914 10/07/2014 11:03 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Gentlemen: I have a 55.2 1/2 ton and it somewhere in its past the front hubs & real axle were changed to a more modern 6 lug. I really want to put Craggar SS wheels on my truck which are 5 lug wheels. Q: How many lugs came from the factory - 5 or 6? Are there any known other 5 lug rear ends / hubs out there are a direct swap? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Mark


Task Force 55
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

6-lug, 15" standard and 16" optional

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Thanks for that Tim. Anybody know any easy swap outs to convert to a 5 bolt pattern?


Task Force 55
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
my advice is fall in love with some 6 bolt wheels instead wink

the TF series were originally 6 lug, yours haven't been changed .... the 5 bolt front hubs from early 50's Chev cars slip right on [need those brake drums too], the rears will require some re-jigging to use a later car rear, and you'll need to figure out how to attach e-brake cable to mate up

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Shank, I can't provide the answer but maybe an idea to look into. I use to take the five lug drums off a 54 chevy car and put them on my 50 chev pickup...... so I'm thinking there may be a "direct swap" for the front wheels.

The rear is a different animal and I'm not sure what year Chev pickups went to 5 lug.
Hopefully someone can fill us both in on this. I'm just getting the "think tank" started.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I think that 1/2 ton trucks went to 5 bolt wheels in 1972. I have seen some '71's with 5 but most of them had 6. The 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive trucks always had 6 bolt wheels.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 38
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 38
I just finished converting my '48 from 6 lug to 5 lug (summer 2014). Front was easy. I used a disc brake kit from a large venders. The rear end turned out to be a little more complicated. Problem was finding one that would be the correct width. Lots of measuring. Finally settling on a 97 S-10 Blazer rear end. Wheels are now all 5 lug and from a '70 version of olds. Kinda kool looking. Final drive train is 250 cu in inline 6 . 700R4 tranny and S-10 rear end with ,I think 3.73 ratio. Havent put it on the street yet due to Drag Link problem - still workjing on it. ken

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
You didn't say what size bolt pattern the 5 lug Cragar wheels are. Be aware that the full size truck 5 lug bolt pattern is
5" on 5, while the passenger car and S10 pattern is 4 3/4" on 5.
Non GM 5 lug wheels are different yet. Make sure what you have before you get parts that won't fit.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Thanks for the feedback gents. You have given me a place to start.


Task Force 55
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
How about redrilling the axle. I've done the 6 lug to 5 in the past, the early chevy car hubs for the front work great but the rear I've had to change the whole third member. Larry


58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
Hey Larry, I'm afraid I am not smart enough to understand what you mean by change the whole 3rd member. DO you mean just change the rear axel from a vehicle that has the exact length?

Shank


Task Force 55
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Changing the third member will not have any affect on the lug pattern. The third member is only the part of the differential that holds the gears, and in the case of the Chevrolet trucks and cars of that era, is separately removable from the axle housing.
In order to change the bolt pattern, you will either have to have the existing axle shafts redrilled, or swap out the entire rear axle assembly for one of the proper width that has the desired bolt pattern.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
Oops. I meant the whole thing, brake drum to brake drum. Back in the early 70's old 55 chevy wagons were common and close enough in width so that's what I used.Larry


58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 88
OK thanks for info gents, I appreciate it

Shank


Task Force 55

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0