The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
Noticed when I removed the bolt at the base of each wing window shaft, "a bear to access and remove", had to remove both doors and turn them upside down to remove, did GM really design it this way or did I miss something and go about it the wrong way? Each base bracket was detached from the shaft in each door which kind of made sense due to only one hole contained a rivet instead of the four each was designed for. My question, is this base bolt/bracket really neccesary as it appears the upper hardware and mounting holds this assembly pretty solid? Thanks HUGH

Last edited by kahoys; 08/28/2014 12:35 AM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I used a couple of long extensions through the bottom access panel without removing the doors. I would think it will rattle if not replaced IMHO.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Ditto to what Brad says.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I was able to reach in and remove/install the bolt. Having long/thin arms help.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
One of the skills that working on Air Force aircraft was the 1 handed seeing eye dog. That critter has let me get to more fasteners than I can remember. He was a b&^%h to train though. That bolt is the only thing securing the front of the glass and the wing window when the door is shut. If you leave it out you could crack the glass when the door is shut. It may also "cock" and jamb when it is rolled up and down. I would use it. Just my 2 cents worth. If you put your arm into the door to the elbow towards the latch end of the door. Then turn to the up direction you can get there. Keep some bangaids close, you will skin your self somewhere.


Steve H
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 266
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 266
After several times removing them the conventional way, extension, feeling , etc... I simply cut a hole where the assembly is and instant access.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
Thanks for all the ideas and guidance. I don't want to cut any new holes. Thing maybe some antisieze on the threads and a little more patience might work better for me the next time. Will put it back as designed as I don't plan on ever having to remove it again. Again thanks much, a world of experience here at the Bolt.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 79
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 79
after I did mine, my arms looked like I tried to "slit" my forearms! an extension is great once you get the bolt started. it is a PITA for sure but you can do it. Lots of PB blaster to remove and light oil to re-insert. and o yeah "patience"


1952 Chevy 3100
1953 chevy 3100 Hot Rod
1946 Chevy Pickup
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
I did manage to get a die grinder in there and cut the head off the bolt on one bad door. It was twisting the channel and would not come free. On the bench it was easy, but up inside that door, fugetabouit.


Steve H

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0