The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, klhansen, Snowman51), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,501
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72
Hey guys, my 51' has the original windows, the front windshield has a dirt film that just won't come off. I've tried steel wool and baking soda but it hasn't phased it. Any suggestions?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Without being there to actually see it I suspect your problem is either the clear lamination between the glass layers is discoloring, you have years worth of micro-pitting that can give glass a "dirty" look or a combination of both. Try Bon-Ami to clean the glass. That's what is used by professional labs to get glass absolutely clean prior to testing. If it's still "dirty" you'll likely have to replace it.

Cleaning Glass.

Last edited by Tiny; 09/12/2014 2:26 PM. Reason: added link

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
Bon Ami is now reproducing their original 1886 Formula which is THE solution for polishing glass. It uses on 2 ingredients - tallow soap and feldspar. That's it.
I used it clean up the original glass on my '51 and, except for some edge chips and laminate discolouration, they would pass for new. I found mine on eBay.


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I'm with Tiny on this one,there's a good to strong chance it is just decades of wear and tear.

I had an o/t and much younger car imported from So-Cal with the same problem,the glass almost looked media blasted it was so bad.
It was a scary drive in the dark and rain I can tell you and that was with 'proper' windshield wipers! wink
For me it was a no brainer,originality wasn't high on the cards plus I fit glass...

To be honest I've not heard of Bon Ami but from what Tiny and Peter H are saying it might be worth a try,you've nothing to lose.

If that doesn't work and unless you can live with it the short and easy answer is replace the glass.

Last edited by jockbolter50; 09/13/2014 7:57 AM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Speaking of window cleaners. When I was just a sprout with my
first car, a '41 Caddy model 63 4dr, there was a product called
"GlassWax", I think Johnson & Johnson used to make it. It was
pink and dried to a white film when you applied it. It must have
had an abrasive in it cuz when you wiped off the film the glass
looked like new.
I haven't been able to find any information what so ever on the
net, not even a mention of it in the antique auction sites.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by jockbolter50
To be honest I've not heard of Bon Ami but from what Tiny and Peter H are saying it might be worth a try,you've nothing to lose.
Good to see you still alive and kicking Jock! Bon-Ami is sold as an oven cleaner but earned a reputation long ago as a first rate glass cleaner.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
DG, that pink stuff would be the stuff we used with stencils to decorate our windows for Xmas!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Might have been, you could cloud over the car windows with it
when applying it.
I always threw Bon-Ami into the same category with Bartenders
Friend, Ajax and Commet. Thought those were to abrasive for
glass or porcelain.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
You had to have had a black and white TV to have heard of Bon Ami, my boy.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

http://www.bonami.com/index.php/products/powder_cleanser/

It refers to using Bon Ami (original and modern) on glass.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

It hasn't scratched, yet (1982 commercial - at about the 1 minute mark).

These ladies tell us that the modern product has no silica and it is all natural.

I know that Denny is a Mr. Natural, keep on truckin' kind of guy.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
This is a timely thread. For some time now I've noticed how hard the windows are to clean, and like the write up says, get at an angle and you can see all kinds of streaks. Back in the 60's when I worked at a gas station we'd use gasoline rags to clean the worst cigarette stained glass on cars and trucks. I've thought about doing it on my vehicles sometimes.
One problem I figured out is my truck and panel both sit in my shop and I found that the "air" is full of oil and stuff from the air compressor. The film is a pain to get off. Of course the answer is to keep the dang covers over them!

.....and what about the coffee filters instead of paper towels? Is that myth of old wives tales! At least they are cheap.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
If it is indeed on the outside and not etched in, use a NEW razor blade, and lots and lots of glass cleaner.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0