The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1043098 07/17/2014 4:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Hi,
I am considering replacing my stove bolt with a 350 v8 with an auto in my 51 chevy coe.
The question is will it fit and what do i have to do for motor mounts/crossmembers etc? Anyone attempt this project? Pictures?I am retaining the original frame.
Thanks for your time

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Hi Chris, I am sure it has been done before but I would guess, not easily. I am no pro and there are a lot more qualified people here to give you a better answer. I think the space between the rails, infront of the firewall and the limitations of the cab floor would make it a challenge. Seems as though a lot of folks do it like Kiwiwilly did with is most awesome truck, https://www.flickr.com/photos/86936723@N04/
and put the motor behind the cab.
Which ever way you go, good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing your build.


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Billy
Thanks much, a lot of measuring and planning should get it done.
Chris

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
There's a guy on "Youtube" that stuffed a 455 Cadillac Eldorado front wheel drive unit,under an A.D. hood/cab.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28MRGe8dkx0 A Small block would surely be easier,but probably 47-ill a bunch of work. The V-8 should be shorter than the I-6,but you may have to change your steering box to the outside frame rail,to make room for the wider block. you may have to fab access to your firewall/trans. tunnel,but you could make an access door for your distributor,like the '60-'66 L.C.F.'s.Another guy set his cab on a '72 Chevy C-10 frame,and it looks like a sweet swap,but have no idea of the work involved.
Sir Billy Marlow, (G.M.C. 860 Fabricator Extraordinaire), has another suggestion of mounting the engine behind the cab. This is "do-able",but limits your cargo space,unless you're planning on an elevated car-hauler platform. Good luck on your build!! Just a few suggestions. WELCOME to THE "Bolt"!!

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 07/18/2014 4:44 AM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Mr. Willly
Thanks for your research. Ill take a look. I My goals to retain as muxh as original as possiblenso over the upcoming winter I hope to start this part of the project.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Not sure if the info will help but...

my '46 1.5 ton school bus came with a 350 Chevy installed and my tapering front frame rails are only about 26" near where the mounts were. There was room to spare all around. I am replacing the Chevy motor with a Cummins 4BT which will be a much tighter fit simply due to it's configuration.

Last edited by Tango; 07/18/2014 11:10 PM.

1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Tango,
Thats very good to know. Ill start to get some measuring,hope to get some pics up on one of those website type things to document the build
Thanks
Chris

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Hey Chris...I have had good luck with Flickr. can't wait to see the snub-nose. LOVE those COE's. Shopped all over for one to convert to an RV but finally gave up and got a school bus.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Why a V8. Be easier to Hot Rod a 6 cyl., & keep it closer to stock looking. This would eliminate alot of unseen problems. I've owned pretty close to thirty COE's through the years, & seen quite a few V8's stuffed into original frames. Most that did it, said if they had it to do over, they would have either put the engine behind the cab, or put the cab on a later chassis already V8 equipped. Remember if you put a V8, in that original frame, you'll have to find a better suited rear axle also.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 103
Hi Spanky,
I did change the rear end to a 4.63 ratio out of a 96 chevy 3500 running 19.5's
I have a 261 ready to go in, but i was thinking better carb set up as the coe seems only to take an updraft. I am looking into a custom intake as well so i can run a regular 2 barrel. I don't want to change the chassis as i am also trying to stay original , but improve daily drivability. I did upgrade the brakes to disks(thanks Grigg for the help)


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0