The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, 55shaker, Gdads51), 109 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
What is the proper way to lift a straight six out of one of these old trucks. I took off the rocker arm and bolted a chain on opposite corners. But I can't help but think that Chevrolet in Detroit did it differently.


Glory Bound...
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What year truck?
Usually there is an illustration in the Shop Manual.

Is the hood off the truck?
Is the transmission disconnected from the engine?

Most likely lift-bolts on opposite corners of the head will work fine.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
'57 2 ton with a 261. Yeah I usually take off the hood when pulling an engine. True, lift bolts on opposite corners of the head work. But we're back to taking off the rocker arm. Or is there some trick or tool to avoid taking off the rocker arm?


Glory Bound...
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I have lifted 235 and 261 engine by the rocker-arm bolts.

Or, use eye-bolts for the lift, as shown in Shop Manuals.


Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I have used the engine mount boss ion the side of the engine, this is pretty close to balance neutral. Of course if your engine doesn't have the side mounts ,it's back to the two bolts in the head.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
When I took mine out... I ran a chain in an 'X' pattern, two bolts at the back of the bellhousing (tranny was already removed), and then there were two side bolts about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the front of the engine (one was just past the distributer, and the other on the other side in the same location). Worked just fine for me!

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Here is how I lift the engine and transmission together using a forged eye bolt and clevis at a single lift point. If you are just removing the engine without the transmission, you would need to use a head bolt further towards the front.


[img]http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/3764/2013-07-14_12_24_31.jpg[/img]


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
Thanks for the responses guys. I especially like the method Paul used. Thanks again.


Glory Bound...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by Paul_WNC
Here is how I lift the engine and transmission together using a forged eye bolt and clevis at a single lift point. If you are just removing the engine without the transmission, you would need to use a head bolt further towards the front.


[img]http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/3764/2013-07-14_12_24_31.jpg[/img]

Just another reason why I want a front end loader to play with. grin


Drew

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0