Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (MNSmith, CandoBrent, 1955 1 Series, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, GrandpasJimmy, Shaffer's1950),
75
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | What is the proper way to lift a straight six out of one of these old trucks. I took off the rocker arm and bolted a chain on opposite corners. But I can't help but think that Chevrolet in Detroit did it differently.
Glory Bound...
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year truck? Usually there is an illustration in the Shop Manual.
Is the hood off the truck? Is the transmission disconnected from the engine?
Most likely lift-bolts on opposite corners of the head will work fine.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | '57 2 ton with a 261. Yeah I usually take off the hood when pulling an engine. True, lift bolts on opposite corners of the head work. But we're back to taking off the rocker arm. Or is there some trick or tool to avoid taking off the rocker arm?
Glory Bound...
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have lifted 235 and 261 engine by the rocker-arm bolts. Or, use eye-bolts for the lift, as shown in Shop Manuals. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,094 | I have used the engine mount boss ion the side of the engine, this is pretty close to balance neutral. Of course if your engine doesn't have the side mounts ,it's back to the two bolts in the head.
Tommy 59 apache 1/2t 261 short stepside | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 388 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 388 | When I took mine out... I ran a chain in an 'X' pattern, two bolts at the back of the bellhousing (tranny was already removed), and then there were two side bolts about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the front of the engine (one was just past the distributer, and the other on the other side in the same location). Worked just fine for me! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | Here is how I lift the engine and transmission together using a forged eye bolt and clevis at a single lift point. If you are just removing the engine without the transmission, you would need to use a head bolt further towards the front. [img]http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/3764/2013-07-14_12_24_31.jpg[/img] | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | Thanks for the responses guys. I especially like the method Paul used. Thanks again.
Glory Bound...
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Just another reason why I want a front end loader to play with. 
Drew
| | |
| |