The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gray_Ghost, Nick in Manitou, Gdads51, Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, walter74, LAROKE, 2 invisible), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1032993 06/02/2014 11:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
I am still deciding what to use to protect the wires from the harness to the tailights. I like the asphalt coated woven stuff because its kinda "old school" but maybe the split type is more practical. Feeding wire that has installed terminals does not look like fun. What is the best i.d. to use?

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I'm pretty happy with the plastic wire loom that is readily available in auto parts stores (and inexpensive). It really cleans the wiring up and makes things more "professional", although I am still very much a rookie.

Tail-light wiring


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Put some heat shrink over the terminals. If possible stagger the terminals. Use a pull wire rather than pushing the wire through. Diameter all depends on number of wires.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
I was able to use the 1/4" wire jacket. The two wires from the tail light feed through easily. I installed the terminals after the wires were feed through.

Last edited by DavidF; 06/04/2014 2:35 PM.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Not too bad for a "rookie" Ritchie. I like those clips on the frame in the last photo. Where did you find those?

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by 53Movinon
Not too bad for a "rookie" Ritchie. I like those clips on the frame in the last photo. Where did you find those?

That's factory GM stuff, you should be able to get them at Autozone or similar.

Originally Posted by 53Movinon
I am still deciding what to use to protect the wires from the harness to the tailights. I like the asphalt coated woven stuff because its kinda "old school" but maybe the split type is more practical. Feeding wire that has installed terminals does not look like fun. What is the best i.d. to use?

Painless Performance, Keep It Clean Wiring, and others now have loom available that looks similar to the asphalt stuff but is split. Have a look at it.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks, I'll look into it.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0