The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon, 2-Ton), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1030305 05/21/2014 10:28 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
I'm getting ready to reinstall a motor. First time I've been into the torque tube mire. Preparing to fit those new ball joint shims, I've noticed a ridge along the lower inside of the transmission output socket for the ball joint, worn in by the movement of the ball joint I suppose. I really do not need any bad news just now, but should I be concerned about this ridge? I can't see a solution short of replacing the tranny housing.
Karl


It may not be the easy way, but it is the Cowboy Way - Ranger Doug
Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world. - Ben Okri
1953 Chevy 3100
1960 Volvo PV 544
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

torque tube mire headscratch

If/when an enclosed u-joint went bad, damage could be done to the internal surfaces of the u-joint enclosure.

As long as the ridge does not affect the ability to seal the enclosure, the ridge should not be a concern (the ball/seal adjustment technique is described in the Shop Manual).

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Wear on the bottom is a sign that the bell was not adjusted correctly and only wore on the bottom.
If the bell is reset correctly there is a good chance it will work fine. Here is the adjustment process.
National seal company use make a brass insert that fit on the back of a transmission that gave you a new surface for the bell to seat against. I find them at swap meets on occasion.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0