The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1017493 03/27/2014 9:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
The weather is finally letting me get going on my 51 3104, so I figured I'd change the oil and get her lubed up. When I pulled the old oil filter, there's still an inch or so of oil in the canister. It's been a while since I worked on this type filter, but I thought it should all drain down. Is something plugged? I tried to find a drain/return with a piece of stovepipe wire, but no luck. I'm going to sop the oil up with some rags, whats my next step? Thanks. John P.s.: The element is a NAPA 1100 if that helps to clarify.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
That is normal

I use a siphon gun to get the remainder out.
...pic...

My canister has a plug at the bottom
...pic...




Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by tinnerjohn
....I thought it should all drain down. Is something plugged?....
The hole in your housing that the oil drains through isn't on the bottom of the housing stem, it's an inch or two above the bottom. Momma's turkey baster works well to get the oil out. grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
Duh, now I remember! Thanks for your help guys. It's funny how things you knew 40 years ago can be forgotten. But then I can't remember what I had for supper last night. John

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
I hope last nights dinner was not turkey at Tiny's house...have you heard what the uses the baster for?


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Here's another question regarding the canister type oil filters. Since I've never fooled with one of these before I thought I'd ask those of you that have done this many times! Does the oil come into the canister thru the side hose & fitting and then build up in the canister until it flows back thru the small hole in the side of the center tube? Or does it come up thru the center tube & flow back thru the side fitting & hose? In addition, when changing the oil, is it necessary to fill the canister up to the level of the small hole in the center tube in addition to putting oil into the valve cover opening? I have read where it takes 5 quarts (for the crankcase?) and 1 quart (for the canister). Does this seem right

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
5 quarts in the crankcase and 1 for the filter is correct. Unless you have the large filter like I do then add 1 more for the filter. This might be helpful:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/9051899682_56309de789_z.jpg

From the canister through the filter and out the center tube. As best as I can tell.


Steve H
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Great! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Steve_H
5 quarts in the crankcase and 1 for the filter is correct. Unless you have the large filter like I do then add 1 more for the filter. This might be helpful:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/9051899682_56309de789_z.jpg

From the canister through the filter and out the center tube. As best as I can tell.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The oil goes in the side & drains out the bottom. You do not have to add oil to the filter. The pump will fill it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 18
Steve H, I noticed you said you have a large filter. I recently got a 55.1, 235, with a very large Canister. It’s about 8.5 inches on the side down to the funnel and 5 inch OD. I ended up getting a ”junior” element because I figured all P-115s would be the same. The junior P-115 is significantly shorter and a little bigger in OD. Anyway my question is what is the correct filter element and where do you get them? Thanks.


M. Hayden

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0