slomoe,
I see some points to consider: Here the diff in the diesel/gasoline price is real high, so making a diesel swap is somewhat clever. Dunno if there it would be such a worthwhile movement. But there is the fun part. You told us You grew up around diesels, and You like them. I have a very good image of some U.S. made diesel engines. Personally I love Detroits, with all of their so well known problems, and I'd use one of then, no matter the size, if I could get one at a decent shape/price. Unfortunatelly they are really scarce and way too much expensive to keep running here. From some years, Cummins made a move here and started to pruduce some very cool engines, and they are getting very popular down here. They have replaced their early engines with the medium sized B(L4 and L6) and C(L6)lines, and are being offered in VW and **** trucks. And they are somewhat affordable also when used. Weare starting to find then at decent prices at junkyards. The C series have wet liners, and are powerful and compact. I found a good 62 Chevy truck in a construction business, have not decided yet to get it or not, by now money is short, but if it happens, I'm considering using a diesel in it. And from what I can afford/choose here, I'd get a Cummins anytime. I have no experience with the Chevy V8 diesels, but heard something about the parts being expensive, and not all that powerful. Here, when GM decided that the Perkins was just a dead dog, and was in need of something diff, they moved to the German MWM model 6.07 for the medium sized pick up trucks. Easy to keep going, OHC desing, 3 valve per bore, 170 horses. Lighter than the 6.2/6.5 or 6.6 Duramax, and showing a comparable performance to the 6.5L. And NO vibrations, and a way cool sound. Impossible not to fell in love with. The only down side is the price, a li'l too high by now.
By the way, do You have pics of your 41??