There are some cops out there that are just plain bullies but unless you get one of them the average cop is a guy just like us and is probably as confused by the changing regulations as we are. I've always used the 'walk like a duck' rule -- if your truck looks like an antique, it's properly registered as an antique in your state, you're using it as one (vs. a motor carrier) and you're not causing any problems then you're good.

The previous comments about CDL, GVW rules for scale houses & USDOT numbers are absolutely correct. Fuel stickers are another variable that I wouldn't worry about for antiques. I've had all sorts of law enforcement and DOT types tell me contradictory things RE my truly commercial truck (36,000 GVW dump truck) but never got fined. I have DOT numbers, IFTA sticker, CDL and stop at scale houses with that truck but I've never stopped with my F-350 (11,600 GVW) even when pulling a 10,000 lb. trailer and noone has come looking for me. I've also never stopped with my 15,0000 GVW '46 Chev. 2 Ton and the only cops that ever said anything are ones that happened to catch up to me at a red light and wanted to admire the truck.

Just my $ 0.02 but I say don't worry about scale houses with a bona-fide antique & if you get stopped just be nice -- the cop is as confused as you are.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.