Originally Posted by HevyHauler
CDL Requirements are a matter of federal law a state may not lessen these requirements without risk of losing federal highway funding. The laws are federal not state laws. So if you are operating a vehicle that is 26,000 lbs or pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs that are not an RVs on U.S. highways without a CDL you are in violation of the law regardless of the state you are in privet or commercial.

I just can't see how that is true if you are NON-commercial use. Georgia has as I said a class E and a class F. These are both non-commercial corresponding to a Class A or B vehicle. For your above statement to be true the Georgia Class E/F are in violation of Federal law by their very existence. In Ohio I talked to the State Patrol directly and he said as long as there was absolutely positively no commerce weight did not matter. I specifically asked if I would be able to buy a brand new Kenworth and drive it off the lot and he said so long as there is no commercial use. A buddy paying for your fuel would be commercial use, a thank you lunch at McDonalds would be commercial use. There is NO leeway when defining commercial use.

Tad.

Last edited by Jungerfrosch; 09/11/2013 9:03 AM.

1946 Chevy OS 1.5ton, 1955 GMC 3100, along with other various IH,Ford,Nash,MGB,.....