CDL's are SUPPOSEDLY the same rules,State-to-State. G.V.W. State rules vary. Here in Iowa,you need a C.D.L.,if your truck grosses 18,000#. To be on the SAFE side,check with Washington State's D.O.T. Office. Not trying to cause an argument,but I know the G.V.W. rules differ.
I agree with the state variations. I was trying to keep it simple, lol.
I was actually waiting for someone to jump in on the Air Brake issue. Some say you need a CDL for Air Brakes even if it is under 26,000 and some say you don't.
I've checked with the DMV here in Virginia twice and they both said you don't.
But the controversy continues. I was actually just talking about it to a guy the other day, when a friend of mine jumped in. He has a truck with Air Brakes under CDL and he said he got stopped twice within a short time of each other. One cop said yes, the other cop said no!!
For now, I'm going by what the DMV told me, twice. The last time I got it in writing.
Bill