I had BOTH doors that I got from a donor truck 1/4 inch too big for the opening. Turns out that back in the day, the different plants could be off by this much. A Kansas City cab should use Kansas City doors. If you get St Louis doors, you are screwed.

I tried a porta power to carefully move the openings larger, but to no avail. I ended up cutting the cab with a thin grinder disk all the way up the door opening, then easily bent the opening to fit the door. When I say EASILY, its relative. It was a total pain and something I will never forget. I did it, but it was one of those tasks a very well equipped commercial restoration facility would do. There was way more to it than just a single cut, but its something that is ONE OFF, so you do what you have to do at the time. The hope is you will never have to do it again. When I was done, I put the door on, complete with the newer style latch, modified for the cab and it is perfect in every way. If you are in over your head, and I feel your pain, trade the door for another one. Jim Carters has a huge selection of doors. I know this because I helped supply them. Its much easier to go to KC then go thru what I did. I did it because I could. LOL!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet