Work a little on doors last night. Opening measures 35-5/8". I started grinding the door edges back. The skin is staying put without the need for spot welding...will proceed carefully and slowing trying not to induce too much heat into the skin. Most of the metal needs to come off the latch side of the door. So, I am worried that the rubber will be too tight and that I need to move the inner door jamb/side inward as well. I suppose I would cut from bottom to top near the 90 degree bend (the 1/4" flat area) and then weld back together. This will ensure the inner door is not too close to the body door jamb. I cannot take much from the hinge side as it will force the window frame too far forward. The window frame portion of the door fits fairly well.

In inspecting the door, it really seems that the inner door is set too far back relative to the outer skin. The overhang (where seal glues in place) is about 15/16" on the hinge side and 5/8" on the latch side. If these dimension were equal, the door would fit better.

Also, I found two '53 doors on craigslist about 60 miles away for $100. Seller said the doors are approximately 35.5 to 35.75" wide. I may purchase just to compare and as a backup if I totally screw the doors up trying to make them fit.

Update: I got the door to fit the opening fairly well if not a bit tight on the gaps (less than 1/8"). I measured door jamb positions as indicated in assembly manual and both are very close to spot on and consistent from one side to the other. So, I am convinced I have a door issue only.

trailing edge door gap

Door interior fit

Last edited by DavidF; 08/28/2013 10:28 AM.