I'm alittle ahead of you in my quest to get my 216 powered 49 3100 on the road again.

My 216 turned over but wouldn't start nor run. Following all the good advice I got here the final straw, a compression test, indicated that the engine wouldn't run w/ very low compression on cylinders 2,5 & 6.
I pulled the head and saw right off hand why, all the exhaust valves were burnt as well as all the valve seats were pitted etc. I sent it off to a machine shop and they rebuilt it w/all new components, only the casting wasn't new. That ran approx $300
Long story short, I cleaned up the cylinders and put it back together w/the original waterpump, rebuilt carb from a kit I got online and a low psi electric fuel pump and she's starting and running pretty strong now. I'm still ordering parts and addressing each subassembly as I go but having a running engine is the key in my case. The bottom end could lock up etc., but thats OK as it's got me working on it now.

Your at the same crossroad I was at. They are: try to get it running and restore back to it's original state, which means staying 6v for now -or- start tearing into the engine and rebuild it -or- look for a full pressure 235 or 261 -or- hot rod it w/a small block V8. The more you get away from "stock" the more $$$'s and mod's you'll be getting into.

You're going to need a battery so thats one of the 1st decisions to make. If your truck is still setup for 6v that will be the cheapest shorterm route, if it's already been converted to 12v then that decisionis already made for you.
I'm staying 6v for now as I've got much more I need to do to do to get mine on the road and $$$'s are a main decision maker for me. Remember you can always convert to 12v on down the road.

If the engine is still fully connected in the truck, you can then go about getting spark,fuel & compression going and if you have the tools you can put a cooling system pressure tester on to see if it can handle a running engine.

This film is a must see for 216 owners grin
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=954044#Post954044

Good luck
Dave