Most of the Stovebolt vendors sell them as well, mine works great. I run a 12-volt generator and a rebuilt original 6-volt starter from NAPA. Zero issues and no block on my firewall. Personal preference but I don't like the look of them and I never will. I bought mine from Jim Carter, EL-158 for about $40.
Quote from JC catalog "This item is a traditional round 12 volt coil but has a built in reducer. Eliminates the need for outside reducer EL181 when changing to a 12 volt system, includes mounting bracket....Can be used on 6 cylinder engines from 1937 - mid 1955 when the 6 volt system is changed to a 12 volt. (Remember the ignition points in even a 12 volt system will only operate on 6 volts, through the 1970's)...Sold each...Made in USA." I was able to just slip it in my original bracket. Patrick's Antique Auto offers one in chrome for the same price.
Here is a picture of mine wired in. I am unclear on why there would be starter issues, I turn on the key, pump it twice, hit the foot starter, and as Jackie Gleason said "away we go." When I wired my truck I did not use any resistors. Converted heater to 12-volt motor, gas gauge is aftermarket 12-volt as well. I now have two years and 2,700 miles on this sytem. Good Luck!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129182431/in/set-72157631867396207