Stuart,

For what it is worth, I agree with you. One reason for using the one-wire alternator would be that there is no need for any extra wires (than are available in the original generator-equipped harness). I think that I simply had to disconnect the leads to my old regulator and attach the alternator to the heaviest generator-lead; and, at the old voltage regulator, take that disconnected lead and connect it to the ammeter lead (I think that is what I did). This sets up the charging circuit to the battery and you have a working ammeter (same ammeter works with 6v or 12v alternator).

When I change my wiring harness, it will be a 3-wire alternator harness from Chevy Duty. This will allow me to use a 1, 2, or 3-wire alternator when the 1-wire 12v alternator that I have (7 years old) wears out. When that happens, I will most likely go with a 3-wire unit (price will then be the deciding factor).

Tim