yes, it is that bad, the only 2 machines I saw people use ether on regularly didn't last very long maybe a year or two at tops.I grew up in montana, spent 15 years in alaska, and the only time I ever even saw anyone use ether was in the woods to start the equipment on the really cold days,20-30 below zero kind of cold. I don't think they even have that problem any more with intake heaters and such. The reason you should throw it out is you don't need it, if you are having to use ether to start your engine you have problems somewhere. I personally have never used it. even though I now live in a moderate climate, it hasn't always been so. Even the old truck with a 6 volt system has always fired right up at 10 below. So no you don't need ether.