Today I took the plugs out and the pushrod cover off and removed the bent pushrod. The lifter moves freely in its bore and does not look damaged. I used to have a hand crank for the truck but do not know where it is anymore. I probably forgot what it was and made something else out of it! Anyway, until I get a hand crank made, I will not have any way to to turn it over other than with the starter motor. But I wonder if the back fire alone would have been enough to bend the pushrod as the noise did not start until after that. Or was the backfire the result of a stuck valve? Anyway, if it is stuck valve, what are the chances I will bend the pushrod again when I hand crank the engine?
Everything is soaking in mystery oil and Kroil now and I will order a pushrod (or two) tomorrow along with the proper gaskets.
To replace the pushrod, I am guessing that will have to take off the rocker arm shaft/rocker arms correct? I also plan on pulling the gas tank out and having it cleaned and perhaps rebuilding the carburetor. Thanks for all the help!


1950 3600
1951 4400
Gazz