Give up on the hand crank, just use the fan it works wonderfully, just don't pull too hard on the fan, I have heard of people getting killed when the fan came apart. I check my fan for cracks and signs of distress quite often and always after I have used the fan to turn the engine. The one the pushrod bent is the one of the valves that stuck. Some times they will stick and then later when things cool down the valve snaps shut and then you are really confused. Another issue you may have is the cam getting damaged trying to open a valve that won't. Just look at the base of the lifters and the lobes on the cam. But it doesn't make any sense, one dead cylinder won't make it not run, I came in with 2 pushrods fell out, and it was still running just not very well. I had a pretty sketchy trip home that time. When you said you soaked the carb in solvent, did you throw the whole thing in there or did you take it apart first? Also on the timing gear issue, does the cam turn when you turn the engine? What are you using ether for? Throw that stuff out. That stuff is like belt dressing. Useless...actually if it were merely uselsess it would be ok, but it is actually harmful to your cause.
Last edited by brokenhead; 01/31/2013 6:21 AM.