Grant Homes;
I just got the perfect frame last weekend for my 1939 Chevy COE tow truck body. I found a 1980 GMC 1 ton Van. One of those potato chip/bread Vans. It's a 20' long frame, so I will be cutting it shorter, but the frame rails are same as my original 39 frame rails. So my cab mounts will sit perfectly on it. Steering box is in exact spot as my original. The kicker is, independent suspension, with power steering & power disc brakes & the front hubs are same width as my original. So I can use original style reverse type wheels. It is all set up for a V8 or whatever I choose. The Van had a Diesel motor.
If you can find a complete early 1980s GM 1 ton Van, a driver. You should be able to set a cab of any early GM COE right on it & drive it away... ...kinda sorta...
I plan on airbagging mine, this front suspension already has the shocks mounted outside the coils which will make airbagging it easy...
PSSSS, I am looking for a better grill for my COE, 1939 or 1940 will work, parts grill will help to...