Well, I may have screwed this one up. Here's what I've got.
1. I lined up the holes in with the screws and 1 bolt? to loosen the retainer plate
2. then lined up the spots on the cam and crank gears
3. removed the distributer
4. pulled the cam out about 1/4 inch and got resistance, could not turn the cam as I pulled because the cam gear had not cleared the crank gear when I felt resistance. I dont want to force it or try to pry it. I had already removed the crank idler pulley so had to turn the engine over by moving the truck in gear. Also did not have the distributer lined up, but, does it matter?
I tried re-installing the distributer to see where the rotor pointed but now it will not go back down all the way. The end of the shaft is slotted and looked as tho the slot on the cam and the distributer were in the same position. I have pulled camshafts before but a long time ago, and only on diesels. I guess it's not quite the same but it seems as though it should be.