Need a little advice on removing a suspected damaged camshaft. I have gotten a lot of helpful hints and have the camshaft gear exposed but, I dont see how to "pry" it out of the block. The other gears I've pulled had a center point and adjoining threades to gain leverage to pull the gears. This one has two holes to expose some bolts on the front of the block. I've read the manual's recommended procedures but they just say once exposed remove the camshaft.
Also, in case this gets too expensive to rebuild any suggestions on what other used engines would be readily available for replacing this 235 in a 61' 235? Most folks say get a short block 350, but what about matching us a tranny and rearend.
I'm not ready to abandon the 235 but what started out as a probably ring job is now looking like a complete rebuild of the head, serious re-conditioning of the block and maybe even the tranny.