GMONIZ -

Your shop teacher threw me another curve in this ND vs Detergent Oil conundrum. I was all set to switch to Rotella 30w from the Shell 30w Non-Detergent that I have been using in my stock '54 235. But my engine doesn't have an oil filter.

I had decided on Rotella after I posted a similar question recently, searched a mountain of Stovebolt posts on the subject, and had some PM discussions with another forum member. Seems like a simple question with a infinite number of opinions.

FWIW, I can only find Shell Non-Detergent oil. The bottle says:

"Non-detergent SAE 30 Motor Oil is for use in equipment requiring an oil without current or traditional additives except to control oxidation. Some applications include compressors, antique cars and trucks, and pressure washers. Applications should specifically designate the use of a non-detergent oil ..."

"Caution: Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1951. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm. API SB is an obsolete service category."


I recently started substituting a quart of Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment to add the ZDDP missing from the ND oil.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all