What does the needle do when the lights are on with the engine not running? Is the output lead of the generator also connected to the 'bat' terminal of the regulator?
I know that it's supposed to show a slight discharge after starting, then slowly move back to center as the voltage regulator does it's thing and allows the battery to charge, and move a bit toward discharge when I'm operating an accesory. It now looks like its glued in place, so I'm pretty sure it's not working.
Chris
The above statement is incorrect. When working right the gauge will show a charge immediately after starting then taper off as the battery builds back up. When an accessory, like the lights, is turned on while the engine is at operating speed there should be a momentary reading of discharge then the regulator should provide enough amperage to operate the lights without any draw on the battery. At idle it will probably show a discharge.