Barsteel -
Don't do the following until Jerry or Cletis or someone else with good knowledge of the ammeter confirms my idea..
Looks like you could test to see if the the ammeter works by disconnecting all wires from the gauge, then ...
> Connect a wire directly from the positive "+" post of the battery to the ammeter terminal that is under the "Discharge" label.
> Connect a tail light bulb or similar load to the ammeter terminal that is under the "Charge" label.
> Briefly touch the ground side of the bulb to ground.
If the ammeter is working, the needle should deflect.
Good luck.
- Lonnie
My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.
OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all