Stuart,
The truck requires a lot of taking apart to get it drivebale again. I have taken it apart so that I can verify the issue that may have overlooked the engine rebuilder and assembler.
The manual shows a check of alignment between engine and transmission. I will need to tear off the pressure plate to access the pilot bushing to get a dial gauge into the opening to check this out.
Has anyone else ever had to fiddle with a old clutch cover/motor mount when swapping a newer 6 into an older truck? I read the Patrick's recommendations and can't recall this being an issue. ( I am really afraid that it might be, and that I will have to pull the engine out to nake it right!).
The clutch linkage and muffler are well away from the problem. the vehicle is right hand drive so the fork sticks in from the right side. the exhaust is where is 'should be' on the left.
I think that the transmission is OK - as you suggest it would be howling when driven - and my problem is when disengaged.
Best regards,
Stewart