Hey Saint,

Best thing I ever did with my Stovebolt was get completely comfortable finding Top Dead Center. Once you're over THAT hurdle, everything else seems MUCH easier. If you can find TDC, then timing becomes far-less intimidating. I had NO experience with old engines, and heck . . . I'm a frickin' English Major! So don't stress too much, this is supposed to be fun. You'll be proud once you get past this.

So . . . the post about checking plug wire order is spot-on. When you're familiar with the firing order, you can double-check it yourself, without having to worry about comparing it to how the "old" wires were on.

There are many posts here about finding TDC. I like the companion cylinder method (search on it here or google it), but others like the thumb-over-the-hole or stick-in-the-cylinder way. Regardless, pull the plugs so the engine turns over easy, and make sure it's out of gear (made THAT stupid mistake ONCE!). A starting handle makes it easy to turn the engine over slowly, but lacking that, you can usually turn it over with the fan if you tension the fan belt with one hand while turning the fan with the other (wear gloves). Engine rotation is clock-wise as you look at the fan from the front.

BTW, this is all MUCH easier with a second person. Wish I was near you, I love helping with this stuff. But St. Louis is a little too big a commute! :-)

Another thing - for static timing, once you are able to find the BB timing mark on the flywheel, I like to use a multi-meter set to "continuity" for figuring out when the points open. The "tone" let's me know when the points are still closed, and I just turn it until the tone just stops. Eye-balling it is usually "close-enough" with these engines, however - they're actually fairly forgiving, if you can believe it.

I hope this helps at least a little.

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery