Originally Posted by 53moneypit
I am wondering why you would replace the starter w/ a remanufactured (?) unit if all you found wrong was a $7 set of brushes. Also I'd bet the distributor didn't get placed back in correctly. After 50+ years of fooling around and wrenching I've discovered the number of people who rebuild carbs vs the number who know how to rebuild carbs is about 10,000/1. I'm on the 10K side of the equation and thats why I let a pro do it.

Simply because I wanted a new starter. The old one had a rusted casing and the gear teeth were worn down. Didn't want to deal with it, so I went new. (New to me) Not everything needs to be rebuilt by every owner. Wish I had done less quite personally, but I am where I am at this juncture with apparently no mechanics within 300 miles, I will have to figure something out. The Carb was pretty straightforward and ran much better after I finished. This was before my dive into the distributor debacle.

I never removed the distributor so not sure how my timing got freaked up. I don't know. I guess it is just good luck.
:-)