I am not sure if the 1939 chevrolet lights would mount correctly on your panel, but I think it is a good idea to have the lights mounted higher for better visibility. after looking at several pictures, I think that the 39 lights would work. Adding a second barn door light would be great too. Here are some pictures from the Gallery.
1937 Custom panel I would think that in traffic it would be hard to see, except for it being purple!
1940 Canopy Express This one has the tail light arms that are to the side of the body, I think these could be mounted most anywhere.
1940 Chevrolet Suburban This one has two barn door lights. Again, I think that it would be harder to see at night if you are following it. But it's 72 years old and still on the road.
1941 Canopy Express Here's one that has the same light, only mounted higher.
1948 Suburban This one has both types of lights.