...strictly "my opinion". Just in the past 2 weeks I've visited "my" DMV and have found the laws regarding titles have changed some. Its now practically impossible for an individual to get a title on an abandoned or derelict vehicle. It is still possible but involves a business. I won't bug you with details but here is what happened.
My neighbor found an AD pickup he wants to get and work with it with his son who will be driving in a year. Here is the part I love. The owner said "I have no title but you can get one real easy". UGH, if it was so darn easy then why don't "they" get a marketable title. Easier for them than you..right!!
Well, my friends daddy and I call ourselves the "myth busters" as every Tuesday, after hot dogs and pepsi, we track down the old cars/trucks/tractors and even what the Law says about getting titles. Its amazing what folks claim to be fact and easy to get.
Bottom line, save yourself a lot of trouble and find one with a title or tell the current owner "if its that easy YOU get the title and I'll give you and extra 50/100 dollars for the truck. watch what happens!!
Not long ago I had a truck that started in Arizona, to Ca., to Va, then to me for restoration and still NO title. It'd take 3 pages to explain all that went on to get it "straightened out".
Also, some states recognize different documents and what works in one state will NOT work in another. Try it and see!! Just about all states have different laws and the ones they have are constantly changing. A visit to the local DMV is time well spent before you spend LOTS of money on something you do not own.
Please excuse my rant here. I know EACH case may be different but there is a common thread here guys. You better have title in hand before someone takes your money. Thanks for bearing with me.
EDIT: after seeing it in person and thinking 1952 model, we later confirmed it was indeed a 52 by the doors, the speedometer and the vin tag which appeared to be original.....but the owner SWEARS its a 1948. Yeah, HE needs to get that title!!
Last edited by Achipmunk; 10/10/2011 3:20 AM.