THANK YOU HOTROD LINCOLN!!!!
I took come time this afternoon and went through all 18 Head bolts under the valve covers and 3 of them were not tight. Maybe 15-20 lbs! And those had a lot of sludge and oil and water on the shaft.
Those and all the others were pretty clean on the threads. They were oily or watery but there did not appear to be any sealant on the threads? I wiped them off and sprayed with brake cleaner and wiped again and wire brushed them but they did not need wire brushing as the threads were clean except a few that had one thread of a little corosion on the bottom.
I did find some evidence of a little RTV or the like, part way down the shaft hole on a couple but nothing on the threads.
I also tried to clean out the holes and the threads in the head the best I could. mostly just oil and sludge type of stuff.
I cleaned off the top that the head of the bolts rest against and then applied sealant on threads and under the head and tighten them to the corect torque setting.
I did one at a time and then when done with a side I went inside out rechecking them. Then 2 hours after I rechecked them again. Sealant says you can adjust up to 4 hours and to let it set 24 before adding fluids or b=putting into service, ideally up to 100 hours for full maximum set.
Another thing I found while cleaning up around the holes was that on the bottom rim where the valve cover sets there was a thumbnail sized piece of cast iron that had chipped off one of the edges of the bolt holes for the heads. Glad I fould that. Don't need it floating around in there!
I plan to flush the oil a couple times to get any antifreeze residue out of the oil.
The other day I took a quart or so out of the oil pan and it looked normal in the clear container I put it in. Just looked like oil. But when I drained it out into another container there where some very little droplets of antifreeze in the bottom sticking to the plastic of the container I originally drained it into.
So there is some antifreeze in my oil in the oil pan.
I plan to try to flush it with some new oil then refill and after getting up to temp drain it again and another new oil filter. Then maybe take a quart out every once in a while to inspect it and also under the valve covers to check for signs of leaking/weeping.
If I still see some I may try a flush product on it.
How does that sound????
Thanks again for your help!!
Last edited by svwilbur; 06/13/2011 3:40 AM.