We have a local spring shop here in So Cal but the owner's son took over and he's one of the angriest, meanest, nastiest guys I ever did meet. Expensive and thinks he's all that and a bag o chips. Come to find out, he gets most of his stuff from Benz Springs. The old timer I spoke with at Benz was nice as can be and really knew my truck. He gave me a better price than my local guy. He added a couple of leaves to really beef them up. Shipped to my door strapped to an oak pallet, I thought they were a thing of beauty. They are an old school blacksmith shop and probably won't be around in a few years. You'll be lucky if you can even get springs even ones made in Asia.
The air bags I just put on my truck take the place of your shocks. They are an assistant to the leaf springs. I keep about 10 lbs of air in them and when I want to load up, I can go up to 100 lbs of air. The bags are rated at 5000 lbs! I bought them from Airlift and once again I thought they were "reasonably" priced. A lot of the guys here McGiver their trucks in such a way that they don't spend big dollars on stuff. You could for example, rebuild your own springs and buy some new shackles. Probably get on down the road for under $100. There's more than one way to skin a squirrel... BTW, I tried to sell my old springs. They were perfectly serviceable for someone who wanted to take time to use all the best pieces from their old ones and beef up a nice new set. There we no takers and I sold the steel for scrap. I got peanuts for them...probably ended up in China. A real shame.
Last edited by orchidskip; 06/04/2011 2:22 AM. Reason: spelling