Thanks for the reply, truckernix.

NAPA showed me a pic of a starter driveshaft/pinion that looked like mine. However, they didn't get back to me on whether it was for a 6 or a 12 volt. I believe I read in one of Hotrod Lincoln's past posts that 6 and 12 volt pinion gears are not interchangeable.

I looked for it at Jim Carter and found nothing. Online, Rock Auto lists part #1932188 at $17.80, while Tim Taggart lists the same number at $40.25!

However, the 6 or 12 volt was not specified. I think I'll give 'em a call during regular business hours and get more info.

To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure that the pinion gear is the culprit for the hesitation before turning over. After seeing a pic, it doesn't really "appear" that the pinion teeth are worn.

I cleaned everything up and put the starter back in. Although I've only fired up the Blue Funk a couple of times, the hesitation seems shorter in duration. I don't know.

I guess I'll just keep on playing withit. Any advice, info, or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket