Thanks for thr reply's Fred, Denny.

I've cleaned and tightened the contacts.

Basically, what's happening, I believe, is that the starter is running without the pinion gear engaging the flywheel. And this situation occurs sporadically. Sometimes it's several seconds after the starter motor is running that it'll finally engage and turn the engine over. Other times, the engine turns over right off of the bat after depressing the foot pedal.

Like I said in my last post, I'm not sure what's causing this situation- the spring seems strong and the teeth on the pinion gear don't seem to be worn.

I really appreciate you looking up and conveying that information to me, Denny!

Thanks again.

Edit: My concern is that the Blue Funk's engine is out of a '57 car with hydroglide. That'd make a difference in the starter type too, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Davey Do; 05/12/2011 8:52 AM.

Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket